Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The New Girlfriend....

I managed to injure my knee planting squash......and because of the injury my steps are a bit limited.  Since last week I had 8 roosters, 18 ducks, and 3 lambs all ready to butcher, I called Levi for help.  I thank God that he was able to come and help me, because I would have never accomplished what we did if I had been working by myself. 

This was our first time ever butchering ducks....and our final count for the weekend is only 3....the other 15 are living it up before I get the time to finish the job. 

Levi has a new girlfriend and he was a bit reluctant to leave her for a second time.....especially since he'd be here for 4-5 days this time....so we invited her to come visit as well. 

Julie is a wonderful girl....the more I get to know her, the more I love her.  One problem we had with the visit was that she is a bit squeamish about processing meat.  Kinda odd when you consider she's been stateside for about 3 months after a tour of duty in Afghanistan and another in Iraq....and she is EOD.  Go figure!

The first full day they were here Levi helped me process 8 roosters and 3 ducks.  We kill, bleed, and pluck the birds outside and then put them on ice before bringing them inside to eviscerate, and take the heads and feet off.  Late that evening Julie noticed something in the trash and couldn't resist that morbid impulse to investigate....yes, that's a duck foot....
Yep, she did it....picked that thing up and let me get a picture!  She toughened up over the next couple of days......
And I nearly got a nice picture of the 2 of them....aren't they a cute couple?  Please try to ignore the goofball in the background....

I even got a nice picture of Ben and Levi with their girlfriends, Terra and Julie.  I thank God every day for my family, and for the new "children" I get to adopt as our family grows.

1 comment:

Amy E said...

I am wanting to get ducks to raise. any suggestions? Would you do it again?

Amy Queen-Edge
www.theprairiewife.blogspot.com