Sunday, March 1, 2009

Love is...

I have the best husband in the world. Warm weather has been coming and going and Spring is just around the corner which means a lot of work is coming. One of my most dreaded projects each year is mucking out the barn. Inside the barn are layers upon layers of a whole years' worth of suprises like....

...eggs that never hatched, hidden by broody hens
...hay that has been dropped by the goats from the hay manger
...other goat by-products
...chicken poop
...mouse and/or rat poop (not to mention the occasional rat corpse deposited by the barn cat)
...goat poop

Now don't get me wrong, I rake out the barn at least once a month. But I only completely muck it out to the soil level once a year. Well, I don't do it...but the boys do. But boys grow up and get their own life and *sigh*....

Anyway, the bestest husband in the world took 2 vacation days this week and spent one of them working in the barn. It is SO clean! He took it all the way to the soil, mucking out about 10 inches of eew. Of course it all goes into the compost pile....where it should be ready for the garden in a couple of months.

This morning we made plans to visit our friends that live about an hour away. We were going to pick up our new baby girl goat and some pecan wood for the smoker....as well as disbud their new baby goats and trim hooves.

We decided to make a date of breakfast and treat ourselves to a meal away from home. All I can say is it was just crazy! I was not really hungry for breakfast food (I'm strange that way), but decided on grits with a couple of soft-boiled eggs. This is one of my favorite breakfasts, scooping out the soft eggs and putting them in the grits and putting some fresh butter on top....ohhhmyyy. Bob got his usual big breakfast with eggs over easy, bacon, sausage, and toast. They even had a variety of jams and jellies.

When I placed the order for soft boiled eggs, the waitress looked at me like I'd sprouted another head! So I repeated it..."soft boiled eggs"....you know, 3 minute or 4 minute eggs....soofffftttt boileddddd. She said she didn't think they could make that. *ugh*

Within a few minutes our smiling server brought Bob his well deserved exactly as ordered breakfast. I was so happy for him. He has worked so hard and this was a treat.

She brought me liquid grits, and 2 hard poached eggs. Oh yea, and something called "whipped spread".

One thing is for sure....we sure can make memories! This is a breakfast we will not soon forget. Bob enjoyed his breakfast, I had a very good glass of sweet tea....and we enjoyed talking with each other without the worry of me cooking or kids interrupting.

When we were done helping our friends and got the new goat settled in at home, the greatest husband in the world took me to my favorite fast food place in the world....SONIC. And it's his least favorite. WHAT A MAN!

No comments: